Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:46:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

With the exception of some pump motors, nothing in the house runs on
220. Even the stove splits 110 to the burners and 110 to the oven. No
neutral and no 110's to anything.

WHere are you located that this is true? Surely not in the US/North
America.