Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:45:52 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:22:11 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Ok, and thanks for the references. For the moment, I'd like to get straight
in my mind how this Hardinge spindle works. Maybe I can cut to the chase by
asking a couple of questions, since you have the drawing and may be able to
see the details with it.

A lathe spindle has to deal with four forces. First, the major radial load,
which usually is taken out by the front (spindle-nose-end) bearing. Second,
the minor radial load, which typically is the tail-end bearing. The ones I'm
questioning here are the other two: the thrust loads in each direction -- Z+
and Z-.

Which bearing takes out each of these two thrust loads? How far apart are
the front and rear bearings? Are they both single-row types, or is one a
double-row? Finally, do either of the bearings have a split race?

Thanks.

AFAICT, the HLV-H has two identical angular contact bearings spaced a long way
apart with a spacer on the mandrel for the inner races and external clamping
for the outer races. I believe they are back-to-back rather than face-to-face,
but could be wrong.

The HLV has a pair of the same bearings as above back-to-back at the front.
clamped together by the outer races and a deep groove ball bearing at the rear
floating in a bore, but lightly loaded with a wave washer.

The HLV-H design is better than the HLV.

The HLV has a number of gearbox shafts with three bearings fighting against
each other. This results in the fitted C1 bearings coming out more sloppy than
C3 after a few decades. The headstock bearings are much more expensive than
6200C1s though. I don't know if the HLV-H has these problems.

No..they dont. But the 2 head stock bearings are still $350 for the
pair..or more.

Gunner

Mark Rand
RTFM

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton