Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:51:38 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Now I'm getting confused. If the HLV has a pair in front and one in the
rear, why is the rear bearing an angular-contact type? I can see that for
the HLVH, based on what's been said here.

Ditto.

I can only put it down to the fact that the HLV seems to incorporate quite a
lot of design decisions that don't make sense from an engineering point of
view, unless you assume that more expensive is automatically better. Like my
case earlier where three C3 or two C1 bearings would outlast three C1 bearings
on a shaft and other oddities. I guess it is a 60 year old design and there
were many improvements made over the years.