Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Window repair question

Zootal wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:
I'm fixing some broken window panes in my basement windows. The windows
are rectangular wood frames with three 8x10 glass panes:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF0016.JPG

They fit into wood frames built into my basement walls. This is the frame
with the window removed - I put a piece of plexiglass over it to block
the hole:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF0020.JPG

This is what an installed window looks like. The outer frame is 2x4
framing fastened to the basement walls. The wood/glass window fits into
this, and you can see the 1/2 inch trim that holds the window in place.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...s/DSCF0021.JPG

So, I'm replacing broken and missing panes, and repairing and painting
the frames. My questions have to do with sealing the whole mess.
Currently, the windows are fitted to the frame without any sealant, and
when it rains water leaks past them. My idea is to fit the window into
the frame and secure it, and then go outside and run a bead of sealant
around the frame where the window meets the frame. My other option was to
use rubber weather stripping around the window when I put it into the
frame.

Does this make sense, and does anyone have any practical experience
mounting and sealing windows like these?

Years ago, replacing glass with Lucite in metal frames, I sealed with
caulk. Basement windows are at ground level and don't leak.

These leak when it rains - they may be at ground level, but they are still
exposed to the elements. When the rain hits the ones on the south side of
the house (that is the direction rain usually comes from), they leak. I'm
trying to stick with the original 1948 design - glass panes in wood frames.
Glass held in with 3/8 quarter round wood trim instead of caulk. Sealant
between glass and frame itself so that it doesn't leak. My goal is to retain
the original design, with sealant discretely applied to prevent rainwater
from leaking in.

My window is on the side of the house, not visible from the street or
entrance so cosmetics make no difference. It must have been at least 10
years and I had replaced glass with Lucite acrylic sheet as someone had
broken the window with a ball.