Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar John Husvar is offline

Default Temperature and digital calipers

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Michael Koblic wrote:
I have three sets of cheap digital calipers bought in Canadian Tire.
The have all been working fine and agree with a micrometer to within
0.001". Two weeks ago I tried to use the one I keep in the workshop to
measure something of the order of 4" when the calipers refused to
measure anything past 1.5". I brought them into the house where they
started working fine as soon as they warmed up.

The second set did exactly the same thing today.

The temperature in the workshop is 9.5 deg C.

Replacing the battery made no difference. What is the likely cause?

The main "likely cause" is they are cursed DIGITAL. Get a dial
caliper and it'll work in any environment. :-)

I wished. Fine grit and chips will kill a dial
caliper.

Just get a regular old vernier caliper and learn to read it? (Magnifying
glass optional depending on age

Funny, my 30-year-old vernier reads just fine to .001". My eyes on the
other hand -- well, let's just say the magnifying glass wasn't mentioned
for its humor value.