Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a broken self tapper

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:53:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got a couple of very small self tappers which have broken off flush
with a blind housing made of thin mild steel - car bodywork. Due to
being rusted in place. What's the best way to remove them with minimum
damage to the bodywork?

Carefully. ouch

Squirt with PlusGas and leave for a day, or a spot of diesel if you
have no PlusGas. Then I'd try the one of the JML Screw Removers that
Homebase are (were?) selling for £4.99/set. But being self tappers
they might be too hard for the remover to cut into to get a grip.

--
Cheers
Dave.