Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Engineer's square

"BobS" wrote in message

Bill,

If you think that you will be making an investment in bigger 'n better
power tools in the future, then they will require accurate setup to get
the best out of them. If you are, then make the investment in a few
measuring tools that will achieve the accuracy needed to verify whether
your tool setup is good enough or dead-on. How accurate and to what
tolerance you want to work to is your call.

But to answer your question, another tool you may want is a reasonably
accurate straight-edge like these

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313

Bob S.

Bob,

I see myself buying a TS, BS, DP and Router. I started off several years
ago
interested in learning how to build an old-time banjo ("Boucher") and along
the way recognized
how little I knew about woodworking in general. I haven't forgotten that
early goal
or other ones I've acquired since then, but along the way I've been seduced
by
hand planes and many other implements of construction. Frankly, I enjoy
learning new
skills and techniques--just like lots of folks around here. This thread
taught, along
with related reading I did, taught me more about squares than I ever knew,
and I can
tell that I've just scratched the surface. I love it. If I can help furnish
my house
and make some music with what I learn that will be very cool--and it may
even help
legitimize all of the time I enjoy putting into the study of woodworking!

require very fine
tolerances (like the distances between frets) and other aspects maybe not as
much.
I've never really thought about what tolerance I want to work to. Giving a
good
answer will require knowledge I don't have yet. It's a good question
though.

Bill