Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Engineer's square

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in
message ...
"Bill" writes:

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in
message ...
I found that a nice 4" double square is a pleasure to use, and very
handy.
They usually go for $40, but I've seen sales for $20.

I use that more than a fixed engineering square.

If you wish to check that your TS blade is vertical, for instance, do you
just use the base of the double square?

I move the blade so that it's flush with the handle, so it has the
same shape as an engineering square.

It's also handy to measure router bit height, etc.

I read a bunch of review on Starrett squares at amazon.com--they have
a lot of particularly satisfied customers!

Beginner's question: Say I use a fine square to mark a 3 or 4 inch
line "perfectly", with an awl or knife. How can I extend that line to, say,
10 or 20 inches with accuracy that would please Starrett's customers?
Does it suffice to place the knife blade into the first cut, and press the
edge of the Starrett rule up against it and continue cutting with the knife
against the rule?
If not, what is the SOP here?

A long while ago when I actually made a lot of projects, they always seemed
just a little bit off where ends were supposed to meet and such. Back then
I was probably using a ruler and a pencil--where, of course, the corner of a
ruler
could double as a square... I thought someone said that a good craftsman
doesn't blame his tools...but I agree that it seems to make sense to spend a
little on the
one tool that all of the rest of the tools are going to be set up with...
Thanks.

Bill