BigWallop

Default Electric Shock with RCD

"Me" wrote in message

"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
.. .
| Today I experienced an electric shock in my house, after I touched a

bare
| cable, which I had foolishly left exposed. The cable touched my leg and

| had a heck of a jolt up my body which pushed me out of the way.
|
| I am now wondering why the RCD did not trip. Last year a contactum split
| load CU was fitted, the cable which I touched is on the RCD side. Could
| there be a problem somewhere, or was the shock I had below the trip

current?

| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks
|
| Andrew

Hi

I'd expect that the shock was probably less than the trip current. If

that's a 100mA RCD then
it's hardly surprising.
However, if you're worried re the RCD then best to get it tested. I

assume that you have the
test records from the installation which show that it was working when

installed?

Also, you should take more care! Shouldn't really have exposed live

conductors around to touch
and circuits should be isolated (and discharged) before working on them.

Yep !!! This one was your warning, the next one might be worse if you carry
on exposing live cables in easy reach. Always a good idea, especially if
you're going to work on cables that will become live when your testing
others that are connected, is to wrap a piece of insulting tape around them
before you make the circuits live again for your test.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com