Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:47:42 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

Hmm. Is that right? I thought Hardinges had the classic
two-bearing-front,
floating rear setup. But I don't know for sure. Maybe Gunner would know.

It's as I've described. I've been in there and have a picture here in
front of me.

Very early Hardinges had the 2 bearing front..1940s-early 50s
vintage..but since the late 50s..all have been as Ned said.

Thats for manual and microswitch automatics.

Gunner

Thanks, Gunner. It's not that I don't believe Ned, it's just that I *know*
I've seen that two-bearing arrangement on drawings of Hardinge spindles. I
guess it was just the old ones.

Now Ned has me going. g I'm not going to be happy until I figure out what
they're doing with a spindle that contains preloaded bearings at each end.
Something is unusual here. I just called Hardinge; all of my old contacts
are either dead or retired. d8-( (Hardinge was once my client.)

Google on their names? Perhaps they are alive, but bored, and need to
find RCM.

Joe Gwinn