Posted to sci.electronics.repair
who where who where is offline

Default ATX power supply repairs

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:13:54 +0800, who where wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:42:30 -0600, bob wrote:

Of those brave souls who have ventured into trying to fix ATX supplies,
what are you mainly finding wrong with them and how are you testing
them? I know its hardly worth economically doing it. But its the
challenge i guess.

Most of the ones i have scrapped have not shown the typical cap failure.
I have resoldered a few and replaced fans in some.

Some cap failures. Recently one client had a batch of four identical
230V units die the same day. These were auto-sensing (supply voltage)
types, and during brownouts they think they are on 110V rather than
230V, then the voltage rises and phattt! The pair of 1000V 1A
ultrafast diodes went short on all four (same brownout!).

Clarifying that, these were protection diodes.