Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default Temperature and digital calipers

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I have three sets of cheap digital calipers bought in Canadian Tire. The
have all been working fine and agree with a micrometer to within 0.001".
Two weeks ago I tried to use the one I keep in the workshop to measure
something of the order of 4" when the calipers refused to measure anything
past 1.5". I brought them into the house where they started working fine as
soon as they warmed up.

The second set did exactly the same thing today.

The temperature in the workshop is 9.5 deg C.

Replacing the battery made no difference. What is the likely cause?

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

I would clean the edge of the calipers and see if the roller is slipping.
Being cold the bearing may have enough drag to slip on the caliper.