Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Zinsser Sanding Sealer vs. Shellac

wrote:
On Nov 24, 4:52 pm, Steve Turner wrote:

Cool, thanks... but which stuff are you talking about exactly? They have five pages of
goodies in "finishes and sealers" section.

At the bottom of the first page, it is listed as "Exterior Fast Dry
Polyurethane GA" (Spray forumla). I have used gloss and satin.
Don't know if this will work due to the wrap:

http://kwickkleen.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1400

or

http://tinyurl.com/y9635lf

I have also used the second one down on page two, the " Kwick Kote
High Solids- GA " for a high build finish. This stuff is sex. Check
it out.... 30% solids!

You MUST buff/cut it down though as it will be too thick otherwise.

I have probably shot a fifty+ gallons or so of that first selection
and love it. I always spray it, and it is everything they say it is
and more. I recoat in 30 minutes, and on exterior doors I can build 5
coats in a day with no problems.

It thins well, and a the wildman that I know in Phoenix (that actually
introduced me to this stuff a few years ago) cuts it by 50 - 75% with
no finish failures. I personally have never cut by more than 50%.
But it shows you how forgiving the product can be.

I have shot this with a CAS HVLP as well as my Fuji HVLP. No problems
with either. Just make sure you thin with good, paint store lacquer
like Sherwin Williams of BM, or others. NO Home Depot crap. They are
good for gun wash, and not much else.

Note they sell this as a quick dry polyurethane. But when you read
the info, you can see that they claim that the subsequent coats will
melt into the first. They do! No witness lines on those next coats.
And unlike actual polyurethane, this stuff is repairable. In
practice, I cannot tell this stuff from lacquer when I spray it. But
the cured finish is quite hard, very abrasion resistant, and if the
exterior blend it has great UV resistance as well.

While I have not tried it, they are supposed to make a really kick ass
plain lacquer as well.

I hope you try it and let us know what you think.

Robert

Sounds great Robert, and you answered all the other questions I'd been pondering but had yet
to ask. I will try it and let you know (not sure *when*, exactly...). Thanks.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/