Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:54:38 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:22:57 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 24, 1:44*am, "Steve B" wrote:
...but said that no one who had ever ridden it anywhere
would take it anywhere near that high speed.

Steve

I've heard that about Stanley Steamers, too. They had the suspension
of a horse-drawn wagon.

The Stanley Steamer was about 50 years ahead of it's time, then the
auto industry took a left turn to internal combustion and never looked
back.

If they could mass-produce the boilers so they were an easy swap-out
when they had problems, they would be the answer to lots of our energy
problems.

Because you can run a boiler on practically anything that will burn,
as long as you can come up with a burner for a liquid or a stoker to
feed it in. Used vegetable oil, wood pellets, ground corncobs...

And with computers it could start and run itself safely, and only
need a few minutes warmup before you could drive.

We know how to build a suspension system now.

-- Bruce --

One of my favorite online comics....

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

Gunner