Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Nov 24, 11:00*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
'Could be. I haven't read anything about it for decades, and there's been
quite a bit written about Maudslay's screw-cutting lathe. The trouble with
these informal histories is that they tend to use each other as sources,
which perpetuates a lot of wrong ideas.

Ed Huntress

I just checked my two best sources, Holtzapffel #2 and Oscar Perrigo's
1916 "Lathe Design", Both skip quickly over the rationale for the
choice of flat vs vee lathe ways, and suggest that ease of production
was as much or more of a factor as sustained accuracy.

jsw