Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Engineer's square

BobS wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:18:25 -0500, Bill wrote:

How do the Groz engineer's squares measure up for setting up a TS,
BS,
etc? Rockler has them (set of 3) on sale for $29.99 instead of
$39.99. I
think the squares may also come in handy when installing a vise on
my
workbench to be (so I
need a larget one for that?).

I think that's the same set I bought at Woodcraft. The precision of
(IIRC) 0.0006" is marked on the blades, but no indication of whether
that's overall or per inch. In either case, I set the 6" up against
pricey machinists square on a flat surface and there was absolutely
no
light between the blades. I'm happy.

A few years ago, long before I found this forum, I bought two
carpenter's squares, 24" and 8", believing that I was starting my
woodworking tool collection. I assume they may be good for deciding
flatness and maybe cutting some square (replacement) pieces of drywall
and as a replacement for a steel rule (?). I anticipated using them
as a try square on wood, but from what I've read here they don't make
the grade.. Does anyone here use carpenters squares for anything
(besides stairways and roofs)? Probably precise enough to use on
outdoor furniture, huh--or better than that?

Bill