Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Making a house flood resistant

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim Downie"
saying something like:

How much of the above is practical? Would it be terribly expensive? What
other measures could one incorportate to make recovery from a flood in a
flood prone area just an inconvenience rather than a disaster?

There's a house a few miles from me that's entirely up on stilts. Car
parking and garage/storage underneath and a bungalow above with a really
nice deck around it - long before they became common. In fact, the deck
is a car ramp, iirc.
It's miles from any likely source of flooding, though.

Sounds like a Queenslander. They were designed to keep cool with no
aircon though - shaded windows, and the breeze blows underneath.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Brisbane1.jpg

AKA

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yekbdxy

Andy