Posted to uk.d-i-y
ransley ransley is offline

Default NiMh batteries

On Nov 24, 7:26*am, dent wrote:
On 24 Nov, 12:45, ransley wrote:

On Nov 24, 4:39*am, dent wrote:

I think 1% charge loss per day is normal for an NiMh; personally I've
switched to eneloops which do seem to retain charge as advertised.

The only trouble with the Eneloops, Vapex Instant's, etc. is that the
capacity is much lower (e.g., 2000mah v. 2900mah), giving a much
shorter run-time. I'm not aware of any power tools using the Eneloop-
style batteries yet, but I imagine that power tool manufacturers would
rather have the higher capacity and longer run-times, than longer on-
the-shelf time?

dan.

I dont find actual runtime less since they are not in my charger as
much. With every charge you get less life, with eneloop after 2 years
I am happy, my regular Nimh after 2 years have noticably less life
compared to eneloop. Sanyos ratings on capacity I trust other off
brands stating 2900 mah often are overstated.

That's very true. I use them mainly for my LED bike lights, where one
set of 2900mah last me two days. Add in other uses (head torch, etc.)
and over the course of a winter each set of batteries get an awful lot
of fairly deep discharge/recharge cycles. Most brands I've tried die
very quickly but I still have Vapextech batteries which are three
years old, and still hold enough charge for the magic two days of use
though. The Eneloop or Instant ones at 2000mah don't quite enough
capacity to last 2 days though, so I would have to charge them every
day.

I read a new eneloop is or will soon be out with that will last even longer

I look forward to that. Over the summer months when my lights get less
use I still have to *charge them every 2-3 weeks even if they aren't
used, and avoiding that would be good.

dan.- Hide quoted text -

I think the new eneloops last longer by allowing more recharges, 1000
vs 600, I use regular alkaline batteries in my Led bike and regular
lights and go all summer, I think 300 hours is what mine are rated
at , but they are not real bright so maybe that is why.