Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Daniel Prince Daniel Prince is offline

Default Power supplies with solid polymer caps

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

If I interpret your question correctly, it's meaningless.

Polymer capacitors (ie, plastic-dielectric caps, such as polystryrene,
Mylar, and Teflon) simply cannot produce the huge capacitances in small
spaces that electrolytics can. They cannot easily replace electrolytics.

How much bigger (in volume) are polymer capacitors than
electrolytics for the same value?

Are there any types of capacitors with substantially better life
than electrolytics that are small enough to replace electrolytics?
If so, how do they compare in price?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.