Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Daniel Prince Daniel Prince is offline

Default Power supplies with solid polymer caps

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yeah, but along with the general decrease in quality, there has been
proportional decrease in price. It's price that driving the decline
in quality. Running the operating temperature and voltages near the
point of failure is one way to save on costs.

They wouldn't make junk if consumers didn't demand low prices. There
are usually "premium" versions of almost any consumer product, but few
can afford the price. (If you want quality, be prepared to pay for
it).

How much would the retail cost of a computer power supply or
motherboard etc. increase if they were made to last twice as long?
Five times as long? Ten times as long?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.