Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Engineer's square

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:18:25 -0500, Bill wrote:

How do the Groz engineer's squares measure up for setting up a TS,
BS, etc? Rockler has them (set of 3) on sale for $29.99 instead of
$39.99. I think the squares may also come in handy when installing a
vise on my workbench to be (so I
need a larget one for that?).

I think that's the same set I bought at Woodcraft. The precision of
(IIRC) 0.0006" is marked on the blades, but no indication of whether
that's overall or per inch. In either case, I set the 6" up against a
pricey machinists square on a flat surface and there was absolutely no
light between the blades. I'm happy.

The precision should be per inch.

While they are on the lower end of accuracy for squares used for setting up
metal cutting tools, their precision goes beyond anything that is likely to
be detectable in woodworking. Face it, there's nothing magic about
machining two pieces of steel flat and sticking them together at right
angles--they can do that as well in India or China as they do in the US and
Japan and the EU.

The place to spend the bucks is with a combination square--there the cheap
ones usually aren't square out of the box and if they are they don't stay
square very long--since they have moving parts, maintaining precision is
more difficult than for something that is permanently welded/brazed. I
finally spent the bucks for a Starrett and I'm glad I did. Browne & Sharpe
and Mitutoyo also make good ones.