Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Engineer's square

Bill wrote:

How do the Groz engineer's squares measure up for setting up a TS, BS,
etc? Rockler has them (set of 3) on sale for $29.99 instead of $39.99.

I've found engineer squares quite useful for machine setup. I carry a 2"
one in my shop apron for quick double-checks on various settings such as
jointer fence, etc.

I think the squares may also come in handy when installing a vise on my
workbench to be (so I
need a larget one for that?).

Probably not so much. A good tri-square (combination square) would work
better

A good graduated combination square would be useful too, no?

Probably would recommend one of them first or in combination with the
engineers squares

If the engineers squares above were graduated I'd probably use them so
much for general tasks that I'd end up messing them up/dropping them...

They wouldn't be engineers squares if they were graduated.

Dropping them is definitely not a good thing.

At this point, I don't even have a good steel rule. Some of you have seen
me around here long enough to know I am a beginner. What should I be
collecting along these
lines?

Thanks,
Bill

IMO, the set of engineer squares, with a combination square, and a good
straight-edge are a good start.

Rob Leatham