Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Engineer's square

On 11/23/2009 08:18 PM, Bill wrote:

At this point, I don't even have a good steel rule. Some of you have seen
me around here long enough to know I am a beginner. What should I be
collecting along these lines?

An engineers square is usually quite stock-heavy. They're mostly useful
for machine setup. A try square is better for laying out joinery.

A good steel rule is accurate right out to each end, with easy to read
markings. A 12" is nice, and a 6" comes in handy for smaller items.
Some have markings on the end as well (useful for setting bit or blade
height). The 6" Shinwa (at Lee Valley and other places) does a good job.

A good combination square is useful. The Starrett or equivalent is
expensive but nice. Another option would be to take a 45/45/90 plastic
drafting triangle (generally very accurate) down to the big box store
and test all the cheaper squares until you find one that happens to be
accurate. Also check that the blade is straight.

Chris