Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS[_3_] BobS[_3_] is offline

Default Engineer's square

"Bill" wrote in message
How do the Groz engineer's squares measure up for setting up a TS,
BS, etc?
Rockler has them (set of 3) on sale for $29.99 instead of $39.99.
I think the squares may also come in handy when installing a vise on
my workbench to be (so I
need a larget one for that?).

A good graduated combination square would be useful too, no?
If the engineers squares above were graduated I'd probably use them
so much
for general tasks that I'd end up messing them up/dropping them...

At this point, I don't even have a good steel rule. Some of you have
seen
me around here long enough to know I am a beginner. What should I be
collecting along these
lines?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

While the engineers squares at this price point are somewhat accurate,
save your money and get a Starrett Try Square (~$75) and build a nice
box for it. It is accurate enough (2 thou / 12") for anything you'll
align in your shop or want to measure. It will also last you a lifetime
and be a great tool to give to your grandson/daughter one of these
days. (that's when the wheels on the walker are worn flat...;-)

Bob S.