Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Which tool is needed. . . ?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:55:42 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 23, 6:05*pm, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 03:57:55 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins

Some years back, I got playing around with me SB "A" and some CI
plate. After making a milling attachment, I made a duplicator for my
wood lathe, one piece of which is a piece with 14 flat sides.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada-

I made a lathe milling attachment, and then found a South Bend one.
Both work about equally poorly unless I take VERY light cuts. The
problem seems to be the inadequate clamps that hold the carriage down.

How did you index the 14 sided piece? A 14/28/56 tooth change gear?

jsw

It is a flat rectangle (6 surfaces) with two corners cut off to give
two more surfaces, then the perimeter is chamfered.
Top, bottom, six vertical faces and six bevels = 14
I clamped the piece to the milling attachment and used a fly cutter on
the spindle.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada