Thee_Psycho

Default Oooops!! Shouldn't have tried to fix the heating!

"BillR" wrote in message
Thee_Psycho wrote:
We moved in to our new house in May, and have only just recently
turned the heating on. I have been downstairs to find it was
seriously cold. Closer inspection revealed that the radiator in the
living room needed bleeding,
the one in the hall is working but rusty!

Worse case is the one in our kitchen, it was stone cold, I tried
turning the valve at the end of the radiator to turn it up. Nothing
happened, it was
just turning round and round! I ended up taking th cover of and
getting an adjustabel spanner to it, i turned it and hot water
immedialty filled the
pipe, passed the valve then spurted out on to the floor! The joint is
leaking, I have tightened the valve back up bu its still dripping!

Where is it leaking?
Is it where the valve connects to the feed pipe or where it connects to

the
rad?
In either case you could try tightening the joint nut a little.
You should hold the body of the valve with another spanner/wrench to stop

it
turning when you do this.

The big lesson here is to check out/maintain the CH in the summer when its
easier to fix.

Its leaking, at both ends now where the valve meets the radiator, tried
tightening th nut but will little luck. Yes I realise now I should have
checked the heating earlier, weird thing is when we viewed the house all the
radiators worked, I made a point of checking them, and the survey didn;t
flag anything dodgy up. Ho hum!