Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Black mold growth in silicone caulk

C & E wrote:

wrote in message
m...
C & E wrote:
Seven years ago I stripped out the old caulk around the base of the
tub surround. The last caulking was at installation seven years
prior but this last seven it has grown faster and further. So, is
there an anti-fungal caulk? I looked in the box stores and asked
the help but no go in both. Any ideas? Chuck
PS Yes, we have a fan and use it.

.................................................. .....
It is amazing how much soap scum can cling to tile and not be
obvious. Cut/scrape out the old caulk. Use razor scraper to scrape
crud from tile. Use CLR and non-abrasive plastic scrubber to clean
tile. Wipe area to be caulked with full-strength bleach, let dry.
Shape the new caulk like a cove molding...little round "ropes" of
caulk trap water and crud that grows mold.

I keep the shower curtain "stacked" in the middle of the rod so's
air circulates to both sides of shower...seems to help. Still get a
little mildew down in back corners, but not much. Have timer on the
exhaust fan and generally run it about 1/2 hr. after shower.

OK, gotta stack the curtain. We spread it to prevent mild on the
curtain but those liners are only a sacraficial $1. All else is spot
on. Thanks, Chuck

I have a clear, heavy vinyl shower curtain....it gets nasty, but I take
it down and put it in the washer with a couple of towels. Gets a little
stuck-together but not to an irritating extent ) When they are shot,
I wash them and save for drop cloths. Present curtain has been washed
at least 4 or 5 times.