Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default Black mold growth in silicone caulk

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:10:35 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

Seven years ago I stripped out the old caulk around the base of the tub
surround. The last caulking was at installation seven years prior but
this
last seven it has grown faster and further. So, is there an anti-fungal
caulk? I looked in the box stores and asked the help but no go in both.
Any ideas? Chuck
PS Yes, we have a fan and use it.

DAP Silicone Ultra All-Purpose 100% Silicone Sealant w/Microban.

http://www.dap.com/docs/energystar/silicone_ultra.aspx

Or other brands with anti-microbial properties. However the best
defense is keeping it clean and applying it so it doesn't retain
water. A shot with something like Clorox Cleanup a couple times a week
doesn't take long and insures that mold or other microbes won't get
a foothold in the first place.

Thanks. This is new since the last time I caulked, I believe. I can't get
the rest of the family to wipe down the walls after shower and spray the
after-bath cleaning/ anti-fungal products.