michael beckwith

Default Garage workshop - moisture on concrete floor

Glen,

An un-related thought here...

If your going through the trouble of putting in a wood floor, you might want
to consider making it about six inches from the concrete if you can spare
the head room. This will allow you to run wiring and/or ductwork (for dust
collection) under the floor to those 'middle of the shop' machines like your
table saw.

Of course, this is assuming your planning on a permanent garage shop. You
know, without those pesky cars getting in the way!

"gh1[n??????????? wrote in message
Sorry... kind of a long winded poster here. I live in rainy Vancouver
in an old house that has poor drainage. We had a big storm yesterday
with enough rain to keep the basement sump pump going frequently until
late evening. I've been thinking of using my attached garage as a
workshop and today while cleaning out some junk I found small puddles
underneath some non-porous items lying on the floor (buckets, plastic
garbage bags etc). It seems there was enough moisture under the
concrete slab that some migrated up to the top and condensed in these
few spots. This has happened a few times before during these really
intense downpours we get 3-4 times a year.

I dread the thought of digging up around the garage perimeter to
attempt fixing or enhancing the existing drainage system. Will this
periodic excess moisture present many problems in the shop, even with
good heat and ventilation? I've been thinking of laying down a wood
floor anyway because the existing slab is quite sloped, so any power
tools I plan to buy would be a few inches above the concrete.

Your suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Glenn
{Please remove the [nospam] for email replies}