Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic System Issues

On Nov 22, 6:48*pm, "Angie K." wrote:
True while I am not a plumber I am well aware that drain lines are not
filtered. and i am also aware of the difference between a trap and a
filter.....I am not sure how much more clear I can be without taking a
course on plumbing, which I do not have the time for, but I will try
again.

.We are on a well... because of the poor water quality, we have a iron
filter ALONG with the water softener. These two flush themselves out 3
times a week, they have over flowed before, but never this bad.
last night as the iron filter was flushing itself out, it backwashed
out of the trap to the washer that it shares, everything that it was
putting into the trap was ending up on the floor and into the sump,
and right back out again, never leaving the house.

we have 2 drainage mains leaving the house to the septic tank these
meet outside the house then go via a common line to the tank. one is
shared with the sump and the washer, and the iron filter. the other is
shared with the 2 bathrooms and the softener..

The drainage for the filter and the softener are 1 inch flex-pipes
installed by the water company we rent the equipment through. These
where shoved into the adjoining traps for both drainage mains.

I found it odd that when I flushed the toilet water pooled in the sink
from the drain. I agree that a drain that is higher then the toilet
shouldnt have water coming out of it when the toilet flushes just
fine., but it did, as i stood there and watched the dirty water come
out of both the sink drain and the tub drain.I believe this house is
possessed..

There is no water leaving the house.. its all ending up in my crawl
space, or my basement floor..

I hope i was a little more clear this time... hopefully some one has
an idea.. I've called a professional.. but if i can trouble shoot this
before they arrive.. saving money is good..

First, i am confused about you stating there are Filters in the drain
lines. Drain lines aren't filtered. Are you calling a "trap" a filter?

Second, the toilet water should ONLY back up into the shower/tub
unless there is also a blockage at the toilet trap.

Third, flushing the toilet should NEVER back up into a sink that is
higher than the toilet. The toilet would overflow the bowl first.

*Fourth, your description of the problem is too vague/incomplete to
diagnose here.

Hank- Hide quoted text -

After you get past this I suggest you look at alternatives to back
flushing the filter and water softener into your sepctic system. You
can make a rock filled dry well for these in another location awy from
your septic field. You are putting a lot bigger load in the field by
draining these into it.

It sounds like you have a problem either with a clog from the house to
the tank or the tank has filled because of issues with the field. As
other have pointed out checking the tank would be the next place to
go. There should be a cap or cover that you can remove at the tank to
see if it has filled completely with water. If it has that indicates
that your field is not draining as fast as you are putting waste water
into the system. Maybe after taking the backflush water out of the
equation your field can keep up. Maybe you field is no longer
draining well enough for your needs. How old is it?