Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Request for advice on sanders to prep for paint

wrote:
I'd like to ask for advice on purchasing a sander that will help us on
some home projects.

We're doing a lot of painting in two houses to just change the look of
a few rooms, take out of railings, patch holes and seams with joint
compound on drywall, etc. We're not pros, but we're going to try to
do a good job. However, our lack of knife skill will require some
sanding work and we're thinking of getting an orbital sander to help.

I guess that we're looking for a sanding solution and believe that
random orbital is the way to go to smooth surfaces, but if we're way
off base then you won't hurt feelings if you set us straight.

Anyway, I've read that dust collection systems vary by model, that
sometimes orbital isn't a good choice, etc.

Ideally, I'd like the "best" for the "least amount of money," but I
know there are a lot of variables ... how one doesn't gauge the wall,
the type of sandpaper, etc.

Is a random orbital the best tool for the job?
Is there a brand that offers a decent job (with some effort to learn,
obviously), with ease of use?

Look for a "finishing sander" with the ability to attach a shop-vac*. Use
the special porous sanding material (it looks like window screen wire and
the vacuum sucks through the face into the collection device).

Sanding drywall generates an unbelievable amount of dust (appx: 82 lbs per
sq in).

* Home Depot has a mini-shop-vac on sale during Black Friday for $20.00. It
fits an ordinary paint bucket (bucket not included).