Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Septic System Issues

On Nov 22, 6:48�pm, "Angie K." wrote:
True while I am not a plumber I am well aware that drain lines are not
filtered. and i am also aware of the difference between a trap and a
filter.....I am not sure how much more clear I can be without taking a
course on plumbing, which I do not have the time for, but I will try
again.

.We are on a well... because of the poor water quality, we have a iron
filter ALONG with the water softener. These two flush themselves out 3
times a week, they have over flowed before, but never this bad.
last night as the iron filter was flushing itself out, it backwashed
out of the trap to the washer that it shares, everything that it was
putting into the trap was ending up on the floor and into the sump,
and right back out again, never leaving the house.

we have 2 drainage mains leaving the house to the septic tank these
meet outside the house then go via a common line to the tank. one is
shared with the sump and the washer, and the iron filter. the other is
shared with the 2 bathrooms and the softener..

The drainage for the filter and the softener are 1 inch flex-pipes
installed by the water company we rent the equipment through. These
where shoved into the adjoining traps for both drainage mains.

I found it odd that when I flushed the toilet water pooled in the sink
from the drain. I agree that a drain that is higher then the toilet
shouldnt have water coming out of it when the toilet flushes just
fine., but it did, as i stood there and watched the dirty water come
out of both the sink drain and the tub drain.I believe this house is
possessed..

There is no water leaving the house.. its all ending up in my crawl
space, or my basement floor..

I hope i was a little more clear this time... hopefully some one has
an idea.. I've called a professional.. but if i can trouble shoot this
before they arrive.. saving money is good..

Ok, I understand a little more. It is my impression that the sump pump
should NOT pump into the septic system. The sump is to pump ground
water (rain) from you footer drains (pipes layed around the footer of
your house) away from your house. If it pumps into your septic tank,
you'll over flow your septic system very quickly. With water baaking
up in your sump hole, your pump either isn't operating, the line is
clogged or the septic tank is over flowing.

I am still a little confused about flushing the toilet and water
backing up into the sink. This just doesn't make sense unless the
toilet dumps into the sump hole and teh sump pump is pumping back into
the drain that drains the sink.

I wish I could help you more, but I think you need to have a pro come
in to figure this out. It sounds as if a lot of your plumbing was
bootlegged in.

Let us know what you find out. It may help others in the future.

Hank