Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default latest Euro ROHS fun

bob urz wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
While we're sealing nuclear wastes in glass for long term storage:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1210063125.htm
apparently that's not good enough for sequestering lead from CRTs.

But that's not quite the same thing. It's assumed that broken CRTs will
exposed to rain in landfills. Nuclear wastes aren't supposed to be exposed
to rain or a flow of water.

The thing i find interesting about that is that i read somewhere one way
of stabilizing spent nuclear waste is encapsulating it in glass.
Is a CRT not essentially encapsulated in glass? If the lead is in the
glass and the glass does not break down, how is any quantity of it going
to leach out?

The EPA ground the glass to a very fine dust, then dumped it into
acid, rather than do an honest test. On top of that, they claimed to
only recover a small percentage of the lead. "The claim of 27 pounds of
lead in every TV" made by a local TV station was funny. I emailed them
and asked where it was, since most of my TVs weighed less than 20
pounds. Of course they didn't reply because they were caught in a lie.
By the EPA figures, CRTs were about 50% lead.