Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Does anyone need a bridge?

wibbled on Monday 23 November 2009 12:53

On 22 Nov,
Steve Walker wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:29:19 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Isn't this the coolest DIY option ever?
http://beaverbridges.co.uk/bridges-for-sale/

I'm just trying to see how the angle-grinder aspect fits, but I'm
sure it's in there somewhere.

They could do with some of them oop north - isn't there another main
road bridge about to get washed away (with or without plod on it )

I'm amazed that they didn't look closer at these bridges before - it's
not like flooding has never happened here before ... my sister's house in
Cockermouth was flooded a few years ago and they were worried about the
bridges then. Luckily for her, she's moved away since and lives half-way
up a large hill!

I remember one collapsing in the 1966 floods. An archer was employed by
teh GPO to get a line across for to pull telephone cables across. A bailey
bridge was built quickly by the military to replace it, and I think it's
still in use.

It's almost certainly not possible for the military to do the same again.
Privatisation will have removed that ability.

In effect.

BT would ring up the Army and say: "how about a bridge then"
The Army would say: "Sure - happy to help. Equipment and men, hmm, that'll
be £££££, payable in advance please as you have the face of a deadbeat"

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...