Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does anyone need a bridge?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:40:28 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

After all they installed a girder bridge when the Eden washed away
the sandstone bridge at Langwathby in 1968. That Bailey type

bridge
is still there and is probably the oldest "temporary" bridge in

the
country.

I've seen a few Bailey bridges dotted around the UK, and I distinctly
recall the first one I encountered in 1962ish was on a road just south
of Ayr. It was still there a few years ago,

Ah but was it purposely put there as a permenant bridge or put there
as a short term, emergancy, measure when the orginal bridge
collapsed/was washed away?

--
Cheers
Dave.