Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flutes continued

Bothe ends is how I've always done it.

.... The customer is always right (and a pain inthe ass)

On Nov 21, 8:28*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:58*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 6:03 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Ok, I tried making a few stopped flutes which terminate with a taper
using a wedge as discussed in a previous thread. (Suggested by
SonomaProducts)

Here is the result:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/shop_talk.php

Came out ok. You can definitely see where the taper begins in the
flute (not a completely smooth transition). This can probably be
fixed with a piece of sandpaper or just leaving it alone.

I think the source of the problem is the abrupt transition between the
flat surface and the wedge. A three-fluted bit /might/ (or might not)
help with the slight side "dwell" marks at the transition.

If I were trying to do this on the CNC, I think I'd radius the
transition rather than do it as two straight-line movements.

Hmmm. *I'm not sure at the moment how to make a wedge with a radius,
but I'm sure it can be done. * I need to think this one over.
Even though the wedge is knife sharp, the router base still stops when
it hits then I lift and climb. *At the transition point in the flute
it almost makes a step. *It's as if any edge in the wedge is magnified
in the flute. *I need to think about this one. *Thanks Morris!

How about sanding the edge of the plastic base plate on the router itself to
make the transition smoother whether going up or down.

Not a bad idea. *I think this is what Leon suggested above. *In the
process of making more practice cuts, I found that with the radius'ed
wedge and a feathered edge on the wedge works nicely. *Coming down the
wedge seems to be the best approach.

Interesting note, that in discussing the tapered stopped flutes with
the client, he wanted tapered stopped flutes on both ends of the flute
(Uggghhhh)
I would need a ramp at both ends (go down and then go up a ramp).
Fortunately, I talked him out of it.- Hide quoted text -