Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default grinding concrete question

bill wrote:
I need to grind an apron or slope area across a garage door opening. The
opening originally had storefront glass in it, so the edge of the slab is
flat.
I'm wanting to go about an inch deep at the slab edge, so the slope will be
about 1" in 7 or 8" setback.
I figure to rough away a lot of the material first with an electric hammer
and a 3" wide bit. I tried cutting grooves, but I think that adds a lot of
time & dust, but doesn't speed up the chipping process all that much.
Will a concrete grinder, the kind that looks like a floor buffer, be
difficult to control on the roughed slope area?
thanks,
bill

IMHO, this is one of those things it is better the pay the money to a
concrete company that has the BIG tools, and the truck mounted
compressor, who will be able to knock it out in a couple hours. May cost
a few hundred, but your back, and the neighbors, will thank you. What
you describe doesn't sound much different than how they do curb cuts
around here lately. No more cutting out entire sections and repouring a
whole fancy apron, just cut off the rounded section and grind it all
smooth. Not sure if they seal the cut surface with anything or not.

Just for giggles, I'd also price out what it would cost to cut out a
nice square section, and pour a ramp. Concrete may be cheaper than the
cost of all the grinding stuff that gets used up. This is especially
true if you are doing any concrete work outside to lead up to the door.

--
aem sends...