Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default grinding concrete question

You just thought you had dust with a saw blade - you ain't seen
nothing yet til you put a grinder on it. The fastest thing to
do would be to cut, remove, and repour the lip. The next choice
would be to saw lots of slots at the finish grade, bump off the
highs with a chipping bit on a rotary hammer (not a hammer drill).
Follow with a bushing head on the roto hammer to get the shape you
want. Grind and polish only if absolutely necessary - it would be
easier to use something like Mapei's Planipatch to smooth the top.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"bill" wrote in message
I need to grind an apron or slope area across a garage door
opening. The opening originally had storefront glass in it, so
the edge of the slab is flat.
I'm wanting to go about an inch deep at the slab edge, so the
slope will be about 1" in 7 or 8" setback.
I figure to rough away a lot of the material first with an
electric hammer and a 3" wide bit. I tried cutting grooves, but
I think that adds a lot of time & dust, but doesn't speed up the
chipping process all that much.
Will a concrete grinder, the kind that looks like a floor
buffer, be difficult to control on the roughed slope area?
thanks,
bill