Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Speaking of bathroom exhaust fans

Tony wrote:
wrote:
clipped

the hot air from an overhead fan/heater combo had any chance of
actually
warming the room up).
We installed a timer switch for our master bath fan, mainly because we
both shower there and don't want the whole master suite getting
mildewy
(this is Florida, where mildew eats shoes ) ?I set the timer for
about
30 min after shower....no mildew. ?The timer was difficult to find at
local stores, but finally found one at Lowe's; only one-hour was
available locally. ?I believe there are digital timers, too, but ours
has dial. ?Our fan is a noisy old clunker, prob. original to the 35
y/o
condo.- Hide quoted text -

having a good air INLET to the bath is critical, otherwise the fan
just pulls a vacuumn on the room.

My family in phoenix ..... ALL the baths have no air inlet, Fans slow
down and dont move air and moisture

The bathroom has a door....

And most likely an open space below it.... probably even big enough for
a little fan air return.

Unless there is some shag carpet from the 70's under it. Wow, shag
carpet! That's one thing I don't miss! I just thought of how it got
it's name. The British "shag me" and carpet thick enough to keep from
getting carpet burns on your knees! Hu? Think so?

I think you have that reversed- 'shaggy' long predates the British slang
for doing the nasty. I'd speculate the term came along after shag carpet
came out. If it didn't perhaps it came from what doing the nasty does to
the oh-so-perfect hairdos that were required in the mid-60s amongst the
mod set.

One of you language geeks out there care to jump in?

--
aem sends...