Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Septic System Issues

On Nov 22, 7:04*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Nov 22, 3:39*am, "Angie K." wrote:

Tonight while the water softener was flushing itself out, it
overflowed. This is not the first time this has happened, so we didn't
think anything of it, we watched the water pour into the sump, then
eventually turned it off after the wall behind it started to get
drenched.

I after I turned the softener off, I turned the water back on and went
upstairs to the bathroom and heard a gurgling noise coming from the
tub drain, I flushed the toilet, and water comes out of the tub drain,
but the sink as well..I am not sure what happened in the bathroom on
the other side of the wall, or in the kitchen, but I can only assume
the same thing, for at least the other bathroom due to their
proximity. I decided it would be best to shut the water off for the
night as we have an iron filter that was ready to cycle tonight as
well.
We have lived in this house for a year and the septic tank was nearly
empty when we moved in as it had sat for a year before we moved in.

Our neighbors currently have their back yard torn up to fix their
drainage field, could this have caused our issues?? Or is this a block
in the line some where??? or could have there been bubbles in the line
from me turning the water off and on?

As I sit here and type this I hear air and pipes banging... and I am
really hoping my house does not throw up on me....

My first step in diagnosing this would be to pull the septic tank
cleanout plug and see if it is full. *Assuming that it is then, what
to do. Having it pumped is a no brainer, but some other factors may be
in play. Has it rained a lot lately? If so it is likely full of ground
water, & if the rain stops in a couple of days it will correct itself.
Any trees near the tank? Roots will clog it up in a heartbeat. Is
there an alternate location to flush the softener to? you mention that
it goes to the sump when it overflows, that was the primary target at
my dads house, though code may disallow this approach. In my world;
cop didn't see it, I didn't do it.- Hide quoted text -

The tank should show 'full' or nearly so almost as soon as the house
was occupied. The tank outlet is near the top of the tank. After
only a years use, the tank would need pumping only if all kinds of
weird things were flushed.

Harry K