Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Cleaning residue on stained deck?

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

I have a natural cedar deck that I pressure washed and then stained with
semi-solid this past spring. Came out quite nice.

A good portion of this deck in under a maple tree on one side and oak trees
on the other. Over the past few months, even though I kept blowing the
leaves off the deck, there has been a buildup of a black residue on the
deck. I tried scrubbing this with a soap and water solution without
success.

Can anyone recommend a solution that will soften/emulsify this residue
hopefully without harming the stain below it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

FWIW, oil is good for removing tree sap from cars. (I just use olive oil
on a paper towel.) Might work on wood if the stain has kept the sap from
soaking in.