Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Zinsser Sanding Sealer vs. Shellac

On Nov 22, 9:13*am, Swingman wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
Does anyone know the relative pound-cut of the standard shellac? *I've
found that the sealer is a 2lb. cut on their website. *When spraying
the standard shellac I've had to thin it some, so I was thinking of
just buying the sealer and using that. *But then I thought again and
figured I could just buy a gallon of the regular shellac and a gallon
of denatured alcohol and cut it myself and save a few bucks. *Any
thoughts? *Concerns? *I'm just looking for a little affirmation here
folks!

3 pound cut is what you get out of the can for the standard, althouugh
I've seen 4 and 5 pound cut at paint stores, and the sanding sealer, out
of the can should be a 2 pound cut.

The sealer is dewaxed and works well when sprayed and can indeed be used
as the finish coat. I often used the amber 3 pound cut, thinned to a 1
1/2 pound cut with isopropyl alcohol (depending upon the temp/humidity)
prayed on for the final coat.

Thanks much.

There are quit a few threads on this in years past if you google.

DAGS!!! I got lazy....sorry. I'm just finishing up a countertop that
absolutely positively needs to be done before Thanksgiving so that's
my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

JP