Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roof Roof is offline

Default Whoa!!!

Tim W wrote:
Roof
wibbled on Sunday 22 November 2009 19:05

John, I feel I'm bashing my head against the
proverbial brick wall here. A newsgroup IS NOT
the forum to discuss structural issues.

Let me see... This newsgroup has been here for over 15 years.
You've been here (apparently) for 3 days. We'll discuss what we like and if
you don't like it, you've already had some suggestions what you can do.

Presumably some of the contributers here may be
sufficiently well-versed to explain to a poster
how to wire up a 3-pin plug, but where structure
is concerned there are simply too many
variables/issues to take into account that would
preclude anyone from giving anything other than
generic advice - go appoint a professional.

Many things here have untold numbers of variables.

In this thread, your pal Dave Plowman has cited
his own experience where he maintains the
structural engineer got it wrong. I'm struggling
to understand how that could happen with a very
simple structure such as a house.

I'm struggling to understand how an established builder can think pouring
SLC onto asphaltic floor adhesive is a good idea. Or how the same person
can think balancing a lintel on a single column of celcon blocks (1/2
length) with two weedy screws as wall ties is good workmanship.

The answer is simple. Some professionals are lazy/bodgers/clueless/******s
or combinations thereof. I'm sure your claimed profession is far from
immune from having its share of lazy/bodgers/clueless/******s.

And there rests
my case. You can't adequately convey enough
information in a newsgroup thread, either as an
original poster or a contributer, without risk of
being misunderstood.

So?

What is the span of the lintel and the loading?
What is the size of the block pier and the
compressive strength of the block / mortar? Did
the pier have to be block bonded into the
adjoining masonry?

Is this a residential or commercial/industrial
application?

Who supervised the work? Did the builder have
drawings to work to?

Who did the structural calculations? Did the job
get Building Regulations approval?

Do you understand the difference between trade
membership and professional qualifications?