Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roof Roof is offline

Default Whoa!!!

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Roof wrote:
Would that be like the structural engineer who insisted on having
continuous joists from front to back here only supported at the ends?
Requiring timber brought in from miles away - 10 x 4" 30ft long? Until
the local BS insisted they were supported in the middle because of
deflection? And the same structural engineer who supplied three pages
of drawings for padstones?

What was the structural engineers terms of
appointment? Was an architect involved?

Yes. He chose the firm having used them before.

Why
didn't you tell the structural engineer in the
first place that he could use an intermediate
support if it made the design any easier.

I wasn't asked. Had I been I'd have told him he could bear off the *very*
over engineered support between the two ground floor rooms which had been
made into one.

Was the structural engineer chartered?

I've no idea. He belonged to a firm of structural engineers. Who I assume
were qualified since my qualified architect used them.

What fee did you pay him?

Told them to get stuffed and sue me. Thought about suing them.

More importantly, and to keep it on topic, what
was the advice you got from your 'resident
experts' when you posted the query on this newsgroup?

Happened before this group existed. Wish it had - as I know I'd have got
good advice here. You're a newbie here. Stick around before making instant
judgements.

So between you and your architect, you screw the
job up and blame the structural engineer?