Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default latest Euro ROHS fun

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
I am a believer in aggressive government regulation. Really. But...

I also believe there is no such thing as a hazardous substance -- it is

how
materials are used and disposed of that makes them hazardous -- or not.

Lead is a poison, and a nasty one. We know that. The question is really

what
happes to the lead in the solder when the item is disposed. I'm still not
convinced that it easily finds its way into the water supply.

As far as I can see RoHS is designed to increase the amount of stuff ending
up in landfill, ok not containing lead perhaps.
Institute a system that on average makes things fail a factor of 3 to 10
times quicker than before (dependent on vibration and temperature regimes in
use). Knowing that there is next to no-one who will repair this stuff and
also keep the makers happy knowing that their resupply rate is faster - they
sell more.