Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] jbslocum@gmail.com is offline

Default What's a good reliable generator, only worried about the generator part

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:37:47 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

bob prohaska's usenet account wrote:

How about an ordinary variable frequency drive? They take the line
AC, rectify it to DC and invert it to whatever frequency and voltage
you want.

Not looking for phase conversion, I'll be using inverters for 3 phase
machinery not rated for 50hz (oddly, my Bridgeport is, both Hardinge
lathes and the Chevalier are not).

What I'm looking to run are things like my Baldor carbide grinder, drill
sharpener, and the many hand power tools like drills, grinders, circular
saws, vacuum pump, etc. Would get pennies on the dollar to sell here,
and have to pay top dollar there. A motor generator would allow me to
run anything and everything not covered by inverters.

Jon

I assume that you do know that any 60 hertz motor will run on 50 hertz
current albeit at a slower speed. There will be a slight loss in
maximum available power due to the lower frequency, but at lower
Regards,

J.B.