Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default OT - UPS - any experts out there ?

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:02:10 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

On 22/11/09 05:10, John Rumm wrote:

I always for for APC units. They seem well made work well enough for
me.

I have two APC units (one bought second hand, one scrounged) the
electronics are positively stone age, I regard this is a good thing.

Yes, I have older models as they monitor through serial ports rather than
USB. I have a SmartUPS 1400, a SmartUPS 1500 and a SmartUPS 700 (the last
one runs the whole central rack).

I support all the good things said about APC. My first UPS was an APC
and its still going strong after many years (not sure how many). Others
have failed after a time (a Belkin one stands out).

The most recent one I bought sparked internally and failed immediately.
So APC is not perfect. However their support service is second to none
and I now have a working one. They even reply to emails (no I'm not
making that up!) Its an RS800, and a quad core PC and monitor uses 108
of the 540 watt it can provide, with an estimated 40 minutes of time in
the battery.

Peter Scott