Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter H Peter H is offline

Default Rotting Window Frames

On Nov 17, 1:42*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Nov 16, 6:58*pm, Peter H wrote:

I hope that someone from the excellent group can help me with this
one.

We've bought a 22 year-old house in the greater Toronto area. The
window frames on the western side of the house are beginning to rot
out. We had a home inspection done and the inspector suggested that
the windows should be replaced next year or the year after at the very
latest.

I'm wondering if there isn't some way to save the windows, or at least
delay the work. The windows are thermapane (sp?) and the seals are all
still good.

Could we not have the frames injected with a resin or something and
then seal them. It seems such a waste to trash the whole set of
windows because of this problem... not to mention the expense.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

Peter-

I have done extensive epoxy repair on my 1930's home in SoCal. * A
fair number of the the sills (redwood) *& sash frames (missing glazing
compound) were neglected for quite awhile before I got to them.

The redwood sills were badly weathered & eroded but no rot (clear old
growth heart wood).
Only one sash (both lower corners were "gone") was rotted. *None of
the window framing was rotted.

The suggestions about using epoxy products are good ones. * I used
(1987) Bondo on two window sills (redwood) with VERY POOR results.
A call to Bono's tech support line got the following response *"while
we recommend the use of Bondo for wood repair, we don't recommend its
use on redwood".

I switched towww.abatron.comwood repair products; *LiquidWood &
WoodEpox. * The stuff ain't cheap but it really works & really lasts!
Repairs that I did in 1987 just need to be sanded & repainted. *East
facing sills especially.

I was burned so badly by my Bondo experience and the epoxy I used
preformed so well.
I never gave any Bondo products another shot at exterior wood repair
on any of my work. *Luckily it only screwed up two window sills.

In the latest "go 'round' (2006) * I rebuilt the lower corners of a
rotted window sash. *I embedded SS all thread (www.mcmaster.com) in
the sound wood, jigged up the sash and rebuilt the corners. *Like
icing a cake. * When cured, I shaped & sanded it. *Perfect result.

BUT *if I had had a number of sashes to do, I might have set up & done
a a wood repair or just bought or built new sashes. *For a single sash
it "may" have made sense to do the epoxy repair.

that's all about the repair side....but why do you have the rot?
Paint failure? *Water intrusion? *Bad window material?

My sashes are nearly 80 years old...yellow pine? maybe? *The *only rot
I've experienced is due to my lack of proper maint but SoCal aint
Toronto.

Per other posts.....window / *sill repair via epoxies is a LOT of
work.

I learned my lesson.....keep windows & sills properly painted.
At the first sign of paint film failure, sand them & give them a
another coat.
Paint needs to be sound to protect the wood.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I'd like to thank all who replied. I'm not sure why the windows
rotted, but suspect that they just didn't keep up the painting.
Eventually the wood weathered and split, letting moistur in. I'm not
in the house yet. We take possession next month and December in the
Greater Toronto Area is not prime time to be up on the side of a house
working on your windows, but I'll be up there in the spring.

Epoxy seems like the way to go. I'll spend some time at Home Depot and
see what they have there.

Peter H