Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default latest Euro ROHS fun

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:30:39 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Does

"This would bring into scope all electrical products used in building and
transport (unless covered by other legislation such as the ELV directive),
all "fixed installations" and electrical parts in aircraft, trains, ships,
and commercial vehicles."

mean planes will be falling out of the sky with greater frequancy than at
present ?

Possibly. However, the increased weight of the RoHS stickers will
probably prevent the airplane from leaving the ground.

Personally, I suspect that government meddling and technical
ineptitude are more detrimental to public health than any alleged
toxic substances. Like any good dinner, good ideas like RoHS can
become intolerable when overly well done. The question is where does
one stop regulating? This limit line varies radically with agenda,
politics, and position. Worse, when the EU wants to extend their
control into a few small areas, they will usually demand control over
many more areas, so that the inevitable compromise results in the
limited expansion originally desired.

(Drivel: What I want to see is some disincentive for manufacturers to
make and sell throw away and disposable products. However, that's
another topic for another day).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D