Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Flutes continued

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:13:50 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks
scrawled the following:

On Nov 21, 6:03*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Ok, *I tried making a few stopped flutes which terminate with a taper
using a wedge as discussed in a previous thread. *(Suggested by
SonomaProducts)

Here is the result:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/shop_talk.php

Came out ok. *You can definitely see where the taper begins in the
flute (not a completely smooth transition). *This can probably be
fixed with a piece of sandpaper or just leaving it alone.

I think the source of the problem is the abrupt transition between the
flat surface and the wedge. A three-fluted bit /might/ (or might not)
help with the slight side "dwell" marks at the transition.

If I were trying to do this on the CNC, I think I'd radius the
transition rather than do it as two straight-line movements.

Hmmm. I'm not sure at the moment how to make a wedge with a radius,
but I'm sure it can be done. I need to think this one over.
Even though the wedge is knife sharp, the router base still stops when
it hits then I lift and climb. At the transition point in the flute
it almost makes a step. It's as if any edge in the wedge is magnified
in the flute. I need to think about this one. Thanks Morris!

For a quick radius, round it on your 1" belt sander with the backstop
(fence?) removed. Then sharpen the tip of the wedge down to a micron,
Brian. Voila! No transition marks.

P.S: If the wedge is thick/tall enough, there is no need for a radius
as the bit will be clear of the work before it gets to the top.

--
We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond
with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774